BARNET SOCIETY is
a non-political organisation of private residents interested in the protection
and improvement of our local environment.
in 1945 in order to fight (successfully) the plan to build houses on the
Green Belt in Dollis Valley.
current objectives are
- To encourage and stimulate in citizens of Chipping Barnet and the surroundings
lively interest in their town and neighbourhood
- To keep an eye on activities in the London Metropolitan Green Belt and
other designated open lands, and to draw attention to anything which may
cause harm to them
- To call attention to any activities or proposals of Public Authorities,
Utilities and Transport, etc affecting the interests of citizens
- To initiate proposals for the preservation and improvement of the amenities
of the district and the welfare of the inhabitants, and in particular
to concern itself with matters affecting Town Planning, Housing, Community
Health a nd the wider environment
- To encourage local cultural interests and to collaborate with other
organisations as desirable.
have about 500 members, and meet every month or so.
details are on their web site.